Tuesday, March 15, 2011

When the students are gone...I do kinda miss them

It's Spring Break in Aggieland! The sun is shining, traffic is light, plenty of places to park, and the students are gone! This is my first Spring Break since living in College Station that I am actually here. Usually my colleagues and I are carting 60+ students to Europe. I was lucky to go to London twice and Paris once. We have been facing some cuts at TAMU and the trip was one of those cuts...at least for a minute. Turns out we received some funding and will be taking a group to Paris in May. I won't be a part of that trip sadly but I am sure these two little rugrats will be more fun and exciting than enjoying Paris in the Springtime.

Palace of Versailles, March 2009

However right now...campus is way too quiet. I like the break from students but it makes for some boring office time. I am getting caught up on some paperwork but really that can get old after a while. I love working with students. You never know what you are going to help a student through that day, what crazy questions you will answer, how students will make you laugh, and the nutty stories they share with you (whether you want them or not). I have been so lucky to work with so many fabulous students throughout my career and here at Texas A&M is not different but I can honestly say they have probably taught me the most.

It is a very diverse group of students so my "student lens" has changed a lot as I learn more about their lives, their success and hardships, and how hard students work to make it through a great deal of adversity. I particularly have loved learning about all the cultures! I have students from Mexico, Columbia, Guatemala, Chile, Venezuela, China, Vietnam, Nigeria, and the US just to name a few. A lot of my students speak English as their second or even third language. I am amazed at their success when in some cases they have only known English for 3-4 years. They are so smart!  So while I will enjoy them being gone for the week...I will be excited to have them back on Monday!



A few of the Cushing Group...some of them have been with me since they were freshmen!
And a few Gaines Mentors!
As a follow up to my last blog...I should mention that Dave does help with the dishes every night. I like to wash more than put away. Since I will be relying on him so much in the next few months, I am trying to do as much as I can. Believe me...his time will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment