Friday, March 18, 2011

Lent is a Great Time to have a Lentil Burger

Lentil burgers are a vegetarian treat! I know you are thinking...that sounds gross but I have always loved them. We occasionally had them growing up (they are SUPER cheap) and I was the only one other than my mom that would actually eat them in our house--there were a lot of PB&J sandwiches or bowls of cereal on those nights.  It is one of the things I used to make regularly when I was a vegetarian and now I make them a couple of times during Lent. I still at times prefer these to a regular hamburger.

Dave will try anything and he did try one once when we were in Indiana and surprisingly he liked them! I was a little shocked but usually if I tell him it is healthy he will give it a good try. I should also mention that when we do make them at my mom and dad's house everyone "just wants a bite" so I think their taste buds are coming around.

Delicious!

Should anyone wish to try it...here is my version of the recipe!

 Lentil Burgers
1 cup dry lentils
1/2 cup rice
3 cups water
Add some salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano or any italian spices you want to throw in (I don't really measure!)
Bring all to a boil, cover & reduce heat and cook until water has been absorbed. You should be able to easily mash the lentils when they are done. 
Remove from heat and let cool. 
Add about 1 cup of bread crumbs and 2 eggs, along with a bit more of the above spices.
The dough should be sticky and a bit moist. Make into patties and cover in wheat germ.
Bring 1/4 inch of oil to a medium high temperature and cook until golden on both side and warm in the center. They are delicate so be careful as you flip!

I like mine with a slice of provolone cheese, ketchup and some onion. Delicious and filling! Let me know if you give them a try!

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm that looks good. I am one of those that did not like them as a kid, but I do enjoy them from time to time now. Josh of course won't eat them! I used to make them sometimes for my vegetarian roommate in college and she loved them! I might have to make some sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John and I agree...they look DELICIOUS!!! We're going to try them!!! Just have to get the lentil at the store...Is that a deli think you use for the bun...the whole wheat one? Nummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep that is one of those sandwich rounds though any type of bun/bread will work. It makes a lot and we are freezing for next Friday. I should also mention that the patty is usually about 1/4 pound size (only it doesn't shrink)you are pressing the patty into wheat germ (usually in the cereal isle). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound great. I'll have to give them a try! Always love a new recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not everyone wants a bite when you make them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do llok delicious but the french fries defeat the purpose I thnk. Love you

    mimi

    ReplyDelete