Wednesday, November 4, 2009

If you think I look bad, you should see the doctor!

For the past few years I have had a small lump under my right eye. No one really notices unless I point it out to them. I guess in this case I should be grateful for my round face and chubby cheeks. I however notice it EVERYDAY! I had talked to my doctors and they all said it was probably a cyst or a build up of fatty tissue so I never worried about it. It didn't bother me enough to have it cut out! Well, over the years it kept growing and after watching a few too many TLC specials about weird things people grew, I decided to get it removed.

Since it was on my face and around my eye, I decided to visit a plastic surgeon and an eye surgeon to see who would be the best candidate to remove this thing. I settled on the plastic surgeon and about 2 weeks ago I went under the knife! Luckily, he was able to do a local anesthetic and do the procedure (I don't even call it a surgery) in the office. It took about 45 minutes and I was able to see the little critter. It was about the size of a really bloated Tylenol capsule or a small Mike and Ike (candy). I stayed home for two days mainly because I looked ridiculous and had a pretty good headache. Did I mention that we had the Livestrong banquet 3 days after this...I was pretty.

Honestly it didn't look that bad. Most people didn't notice it because my glasses hid it nicely and I wore a hat for a couple of days (the bright sunny skies of TX were not my friend that week). My doctor said that I would have a black eye and he wasn't kidding. Below you can see the picture a week after I had the procedure. I had the stitches removed the following day. I promise it looks much worse than it felt!

4 little stitches & a pretty black eye

I am healing quite well. Just a little bit of a black eye remains (but I can cover most of it with makeup) and the cut is still a little tender. The results of the biopsy showed that it was a benign tumor of the nerve tissue and the chances of it growing again are pretty slim. After thinking about it this is something I probably should have taken care of a while ago but I am glad it is finally done!




3 comments:

  1. Ew....
    I am glad you finally got it removed and I am glad your little bump wasn't worthy of a TLC special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for seeing the dr in a somewhat reasonable time. And you look beautiful to me. Love you

    ReplyDelete